- Dishwashers made before 1994 use 12 or more gallons of water, those after 1994 use between 7-10 gallons.
- Wash only full loads.
- do not use the temperature boost setting: heating water is about 80% of the energy used
- fill the soap dispenser about 2/3 full for best performance
- air dry the dishes, or use the "no-heat" dry setting
- don't rinse the dishes before loading, just scrape them
- use shortest possible cycle
- keep filter clear of food particles
A study conducted in Germany reports an average of 27 gallons of water to wash a 12 piece place setting by hand. The automatic dishwasher using the same number of equally dirty dishes used only 4 gallons. Looks like the automatic dishwasher wins!